Brook trout crooked on a cross
Serves 2 to 5 persons
Recipe by Jean-Philippe Leclerc
- 2 large brook trout
- 1 cup of Canopée gin
- 2 tablespoons of maple sugar
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon of fresh or dehydrated balsam fir needles
- Get a fire going to create a good amount of burning coals.
- Form a cross out of green alder branches.
- Use a mortar and pestle to grind the dry ingredients.
- Clean the trout, then season them inside and out.
- Place the trout on the alder branches and tie them in place using thin roots or string.
- Set up the trout facing the coals, moistening them with gin every 15 minutes using a pine or cedar branch.
- Leave them to cook for about an hour.